Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Cupcake Odyssey: Rosemary

Rosemary is probably my favourite herb. I love everything about it - the way it looks, the way it smells, the way it goes with all my favourite savoury foods, the sweet-spicy flavour it has, even the way it looks as a garnish. So when I was looking for unusual flavours to put into a cupcake, Rosemary was a bit of a no-brainer.


What was more difficult was coming up with a suitable frosting. I have always paired my cupcake flavours so that I have one flavour in the cake and another in the frosting, and I didn't see why this should be any different. I settled on muscat, which is another old favourite, and settled down to work. At first I thought I'd try a plain muscat icing. Which was disgusting. Then I thought I'd try a muscat-marscapone frosting, which looked very promising as I'd found several recipe suggestions on teh internets and figured that if other people could make it work, so could I. The problem with this was that once mixed with marscapone, the only part of the muscat that was discernable was the alcohol, which was not what I was going for. Eventually I thought I'd make a muscat-toffee glaze. Let's not go into the gory details of that particular disaster.


Eventually, I had to concede that rosemary is just such a fabulous flavour that it needs no accompaniment. And voila - it didn't.




Rosemary Cupcakes with Buttercream


Cupcakes

2 inches fresh rosemary, stripped

125g butter

3/4 cup castor sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

1/2 cup milk


Buttercream

2 cups icing sugar

100g butter

2 tbsp milk (approx)


Method

Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Put the rosemary leaves in a spice grinder and grind until finely minced. Take a moment to inhale the amazing scent. Add rosemary, flour and milk and beat until smooth. Spoon into patty pans and bake in moderate oven 20-25 mins or until a knife inserted into one of the cupcakes comes out clean.


Beat butter for frosting until very pale. Add icing sugar slowly, while beating. Add milk until the desired texture is achieved. Spread over cooled cupcakes and top with a rosemary flower.


I think these may be my favourite ...

No comments:

Post a Comment